19-year-old Nigerian striker Orji Okonkwo was the unlikely hero for Bologna as he scored the only goal in a 0-1 win at Sassuolo despite spending just four minutes on the pitch.
Okonkwo came on as an 86th minute substitute, replacing Sebastian De Maio and three minutes later fired the only goal which proved to be the eventual match winner for Bologna to secure a 1-0 win over Sassoulo and grab all three points in the mid table encounter.
It is important to note that the host were reduced to ten men when Francesco Magnanelli was sent off in the 80th minute before Okonkwo was introduced 6 minutes later.
Okonkwo picked up a yellow card for his goal celebration as he took his shirt off while celebrating.
The victory is the second in six matches for Bologna, both coming away from home.
The result takes Bologna to 11th on the table with 8 points having lost two matches, drew two and won the other two.
By virtue of his first Serie A goal the former U-17 golden Eaglets striker becomes the sixth youngest Nigerian to score in the Italian top division.
A look at other young Nigerian players to have scored in the serie A:
1) Victor Obinna – 18 years and 6 months – Chievo Verona vs Sampdoria, September 25, 2005.
2) Obafemi Martins – 18 years, 6 months and 5 days – Atalanta vs Inter Milan, May 3, 2003.
3) Hugo Enyinnaya – 18 years, 7 months and 10 days – Bari vs Inter Milan, December 18, 1999.
4) Umar Sadiq – 18 years, 10 months and 18 days – Roma vs Genoa, December 20, 2015.
5) Christian Obodo – 19 years and 13 days – Inter Milan vs Perugia, May 24, 2003.
6) Orji Okonkwo – 19 years, 8 months and 5 days – Sassuolo vs Bologna, September 24, 2017.
7) Odion Ighalo – 19 years, 11 months and 15 days – Udinese vs Cagliari Calcio, May 31, 2009