World football governing body FIFA says it has shelved it’s plans to suspend the Nigeria Football Federation NFF for violations of its rules and regulations.
FIFA on 13 August 2018 had threatened to ban Nigeria if it failed to heed a call to rid itself of undue influence in the affairs of the NFF by Monday, 20 August 2018.
A statement from the football body made public on Monday afternoon said it reviewed it’s decision following confirmations that “the legitimate leadership of the NFF under President Amaju Melvin Pinnick and General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi has been given back effective control of the NFF and its offices.”
FIFA however says it will continue to closely monitor the situation in Nigeria in order to ensure that its rules and regulations are fully adhered to.
A tweet from Laolu Akande, the senior special assistant to Nigeria’s vice president Yemi Osinbajo on media and publicity earlier in the day had already indicated the government was fully ready to heed FIFA’s call.
The FG has already conveyed to FIFA its firm position recognizing Amaju Pinnick-led NFF as the current & only NFF Exco. Govt will also continue to work with all relevant stakeholders involved to resolve dispute in a timely manner. FG is upholding NFF treaty obligations to FIFA
— Laolu Akande (@akandeoj) August 20, 2018